A praise and a few bugs

This is the place to ask question about Enchanting, talk about your Enchanting projects or simply find out more about Enchanting on the NXT.

Moderator: clintonb

kromosom
New User

A praise and a few bugs

Postby kromosom » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi,
i am using Enchanting to teach my 7 an 5 year old sons how to program. It's a great product and also made a new translation to slovenian lanugage (i used the translation for BYOB that i enhanced and also added the necessary translations for Enchanting). I'll send it after i polish it a little, so everyone can use it.

I noticed a few bugs:
- if "Background" is chosen and you click "Configure Sensors" motor configuration comes up instead of sensor configuration, if "Sprites" are chosen everything works ok
- if i put a "forever" block inside a custom block it doesn't compile, but it compiles ok if put it on the "Background" or a "Sprite"
- Enchanting hangs sometimes and it can't be reset

Otherwise it's a great programming tool. I just made a programm for Benedetelli's AT-ST from the book Creating Cool Mindstorms NXT robots. It works great.

Keep up the good work.

clintonb
Active User

Re: A praise and a few bugs

Postby clintonb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 am

Thank you, kromosom.

kromosom wrote:Hi,
i am using Enchanting to teach my 7 an 5 year old sons how to program. It's a great product and also made a new translation to slovenian lanugage (i used the translation for BYOB that i enhanced and also added the necessary translations for Enchanting). I'll send it after i polish it a little, so everyone can use it.

That'd be great! You can send it to me directly -- see the 'Dev' section on the Enchanting site for details on how.

kromosom wrote:I noticed a few bugs:
- if "Background" is chosen and you click "Configure Sensors" motor configuration comes up instead of sensor configuration, if "Sprites" are chosen everything works ok

That bug is fixed in Enchanting 0.2.4.

kromosom wrote:- if i put a "forever" block inside a custom block it doesn't compile, but it compiles ok if put it on the "Background" or a "Sprite"

I understand what causes the problem, but haven't figured out how to fix it.

The custom blocks are treated as functions and expected to return a value. With the 'forever' inside them, they never get to the point where they can return a value. When compiling the java code, the compiler notices that the return code is unreachable and quits with an error.

The best solution I can think of would be to detect that a custom block ends in a 'forever' loop, offer a variant that is next expected to return a value and change the block shape so that you can't snap anything after it. This is a fair bit of work and I haven't looked into it in depth.

kromosom wrote:- Enchanting hangs sometimes and it can't be reset

Would you provide some more detail, please?

kromosom wrote:Otherwise it's a great programming tool. I just made a programm for Benedetelli's AT-ST from the book Creating Cool Mindstorms NXT robots. It works great.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you. I will.

Clinton

reeta
New User

Re: A praise and a few bugs

Postby reeta » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:05 am

Hi,

Can you tell me more about your setup? Which operating system(s) have you tried it with? What are the specs on your computer(s)? It is the uploading step, and not the compiling step, that is really slow for you?

Your NXT is flashed with the NXT firmware, right? (Enchanting insists on the point, but I just wanted to be sure).

I've found bluetooth to be very slow, but USB works very nicely.
reeta

Return to “Enchanting Questions and Projects”