Power Mac G5

This is the place to ask question about Enchanting, talk about your Enchanting projects or simply find out more about Enchanting on the NXT.

Moderator: clintonb

cephy
New User

Power Mac G5

Postby cephy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi Clinton,

My kids' computer is a Power Mac G5 running mac os x 10.4. Would enchanting work with this computer? I know I can try it, but I prefer to know that thing would work before showing them something.

thanks
rob

clintonb
Active User

Re: Power Mac G5

Postby clintonb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am

Hi Rob.

Yes, I believe it will.

- LEGO had a driver for the older Macs; it looks like NXT-G supported 10.3.9. [I don't know if the latest drivers are universal; if you don't have one installed, you may have to hunt down an old one]
- Scratch is a universal binary (and, by extension, so is Enchanting, which runs on the same Squeak virtual machine)
- You should have a version of Java, and I think it is new enough. Not entirely sure on this one.
- Hmm... What about the JINI code that lets Java talk to the hardware. Wait -- the tutorial for leJOS says "This version of the tutorial is for the 0.9 release of leJOS NXJ and is compatible with OS X 10.4 or higher and both intel and ppc processors."

I think it'll work. Really, though, you simply need to download it and try it. (Try it out yourself before getting your kids' hopes up!)

Cheers,
Clinton

Return to “Enchanting Questions and Projects”