creating a bootable sd card on mac guide

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Florens
Novice

creating a bootable sd card on mac guide

Postby Florens » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Hey, I have had some problems with this but I found a solution so I'll share it for you guys here.
You will need admin permission!

1. insert your sd card in your computer
2. locate your lejos installation
3. unzip sd500.zip and lejosimage.zip by double clicking it and place the contents somewhere easy to find
4. open the terminal
5. enter "diskutil list"
6. find your device (usualy /dev/disk1 if no other storage devices connected with /dev/disk0 as your mac itself) make sure you have the right one because you don't want to risk destroying your mac! You can check by unplugging, entering the command again and then look which one is gone (then replug xD)
8. enter "diskutil unmountDisk [device name (for example: /dev/disk1)]"
7. enter "sudo dd if=[drag the sd500.img file here] of=[device name (for example: /dev/disk1)]"
8. For some reason this won't stop and you will have to unplug it after a while. Then plug it back in
9. Now you have the SD500 partition and you can put the contents of the lejosimage folder in there
10. Download java for lejos version 7 from java.com/legomindstorms. You will have create a java account if you don't already have one
11. Put the downloaded file together with the rest of the files on your sd card
12. safely remove your card and put it in your ev3
13. Now boot it and it will install lejos for you!

If there are any questions, please ask!
When life gives you lemons, eat them.

Florens
Novice

Re: creating a bootable sd card on mac guide

Postby Florens » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm

I'm happy I put this here cause I need it again xD
When life gives you lemons, eat them.

sdavies
New User

Postby sdavies » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks for this series of steps :) I'm relatively new to leJOS and ran into the same problems.

The above steps pretty much got me sorted out. The secret is the 500 image; nothing else seems to work.

Just a note on the dd not seeming to end - you can watch the progress of the writes to the SD card by pressing Ctrl^T repeatedly, once it hit 500 meg for me the dd command exited normally.

Another point about writing out the image using dd, it may be quicker to use /dev/rdisk<n> rather than /dev/disk<n> with bs=4m e.g.

sudo dd if=sd500.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=4m

Very excited to be up and running with my first Hello leJOS thanks to this thread and my newly acquired Edimax dongles :)

jakkouyye
Novice

Postby jakkouyye » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:54 pm

hello there, I have been trying to install lejos by multiple ways and never succedeed. I have tried your tchnique, I've formated my sd with many different things but it never worked. it always launch the ev3 as if i didn't put any sd in it :x
I've spent at least 10 hours on it and i really dont know what to do next :/ please help

jplucknett
New User

Postby jplucknett » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am

The above steps are what eventually got things working for me as well.

It might help some to know what I personally typed into the terminal.

For step 8 (The first step 8. This person's list goes from step 6 to a step 8 then back to step 7, then 8 again) I typed:

"diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2" enter. (My device was at disk 2)

I had moved the sd500.img to my desktop after unzipping it, so for step 7 I typed:

"sudo dd if=/Users/myname/Desktop/sd500.img of=/dev/disk2" enter.

After that, type Ctrl^t to see that something is actually going on. When it is completed your icon will appear on the desktop and the terminal prompt will be back. I ignored the second step 8.

At this point, properly remove the SD card and then reinsert it.

Next I copied the contents of the lejosimage folder to the SD card and then I copied the uncompressed file "ejre-7u60-fcs-b19-linux-arm-sflt-headless-07_may_2014.tar-1.gz" to the card.

Properly remove the SD card, insert it into the EV3, then turn on the EV3. LeJOS should then start loading. Putting a folded over strip of cellophane tape on the very end of the card (don't cover the contacts), will make it much easier to remove from the EV3 when needed.

Return to “EV3 Software”