EV3 Nxt wifi not connecting

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

lastpingstanding1
New User

EV3 Nxt wifi not connecting

Postby lastpingstanding1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:47 am

Everytime I try to connect my nxt to a wifi usb dongle, I'm getting a "No access points found" error every time I try to search under the wifi menu. The usb adapter's led light never lights up, and I've tried multiple times.

I'm not sure how to fix this. I can't ssh onto my nxt at all without it connecting to the internet, and can't upload jar files to test my projects.

This never happened the first time I connected my usb adapter on, and my nxt still displays my 10.0.1.1 ip address that appeared after my first (and only) successful connection.

I've since reformated and reinstalled by sd card multiple times, for some reason the 10.0.1.1 ip address remains there.

floydbloke
Novice

Re: EV3 Nxt wifi not connecting

Postby floydbloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:11 am

Your post is a little confusing with the multiple mentions of NXT in there, but I'll assume you're using an EV3.

You mention it has worked in the past, and now there is no LED showing on the USB adapter:
* Have you tried a different USB WiFi dongle?
* Is it connected through a USB hub. I have had mixed success with these on the EV3. If so try plugging the dongle directly into the EV3.
*Are you in range of a WiFi AP that's broadcasting a SSID?

lastpingstanding1
New User

Postby lastpingstanding1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 am

Sorry about the NXT stuff, the last time I played around with mindstorms was almost a decade ago; I'm a bit outdated.

I'm plugging the usb adapter directly into the EV3 and I've tried multiple adapters. Honestly I'm not sure what's wrong, especially since I've formatted the SD card and reinstalled everything multiple times.

I wish there were some way to entirely reset my EV3. Despite reinstalling lejos multiple times on my SD card, my EV3 still displays "10.0.1.1" on the home screen, even though I'm pretty sure that ip address would only appear after I've successfully configured the brick's wifi.

This problem has been frustrating me for some time. At this point, I'm willing to try to do a factory reset and start from a clean slate. However, I'm not quite sure how to do so (looking online hasn't helped so far).

If anyone has any tips, I'd be eternally greatful.

floydbloke
Novice

Postby floydbloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:45 am

The 10.0.1.1 should be there. That's the IP address for networking through bluetooth.
If you have a Lego supported WiFi adapter have you tried connecting using the Lego software? (I.e boot it up without the SD card. Later versions of the Lego native firmware support a wider range of USb adapters.)
I would have thought you'd see some LED activity on the WiFi adapter as LeJOS goes through its boot cycle and loads the network drivers. Are you getting absolutely nothing at all?
Could be a hardware fault on the brick itself I suppose. :(

lastpingstanding1
New User

Postby lastpingstanding1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:28 am

I'm still not sure what was wrong. I ended up just directly connecting my brick to my computer, it works well enough for my needs.

Return to “EV3 Software”