Re-writing robotics

Post your EV3 projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

ruperty
Advanced Member

Re-writing robotics

Postby ruperty » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello,

You may be interested in my robotics my paper just published in the Artificial Life journal (the architecture of which I implemented with lejos on NXT and EV3).

"A General Architecture for Robotics Systems: A Perception-Based Approach to Artificial Life",

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/ARTL_a_00229.

The approach is based on the concept that the behaviour of living systems is a process of controlling perceptions, rather than controlling or computing (behavioural) output. In principle, the complex behaviour that we observe emerges just from a hierarchy of these simple feedback control systems, and accounts for all types and levels of behaviour.

Applying this perspective to robotics has significant implications, such as explicit, predictive models are not required, the systems are inherently adaptive and are not prone to unpredictable disturbances or changes in system parameters (e.g. weight or length of limbs), they are computationally lightweight and are comprised of a simple, universal process.

In my view the approach supersedes behaviour-based robotics (subsumption architecture) and indicates how to build truly autonomous, adaptive robots.

If you are not able to access the paper, would like a copy and agree not to distribute send me a private message and I can send you a copy.
Regards,
Rupert
www.perceptualrobots.com

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: Re-writing robotics

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi, thanks for posting this. Always interesting to see what people can do with leJOS and Mindstorms. Especially so in this area. I love that something like leJOS can contribute (even in a small) way to robotics research!
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Return to “EV3 Projects”