This is Rover

Post your EV3 projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

steveiswicked
Novice

This is Rover

Postby steveiswicked » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi,
I've spent some time away from robots, but I saw some cool stuff with OpenCV. I experimented with code by Andy and Lawrie on Lejos news. Also I found Mark Crosbie's code on face detection. I bought a cheap webcam and when the Lejos code worked I was blown away. So I built Rover. Rover can see using OpenCV. He has jaws that can pick up a Duplo ball. Rover began life with very simply with skeleton structure of wheels and a webcam but the webcam field of view was very limited. I bought a "wide angle" camera, the depth of field was better but I still couldn't get a view of the floor and the room at the same time.
I wasn't going to gamble on more cameras, so I rebuilt Rover so that he can control camera elevation, and rover has become a bit of a beast. I've tested all the mechanics using RMI. Rover can grab and lift a ball, he can maneuver, and he can detect a face using openCV.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwtv1a ... sp=sharing

My Idea is that Rover will wait until he detects a "face", go recover a ball from somewhere, take the ball to the "face", drop the ball and "encourage" a game of fetch, track the ball as it is rolled away and then search/fetch it back to the/a "face". All this seemed would have seemed impossible only a few years ago. I really appreciate the commitment and dedication of the Lejos team for making my new project feasible.

Steve

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: This is Rover

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:12 am

Nice, rather than get a different webcam, you might want to hunt around and see if you can find a lens that can change the field of view of what you have?
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

steveiswicked
Novice

Postby steveiswicked » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Good Call! I got a Victsing "3 in 1" Phone camera lens set which comes with a decent quality "~180 degree" lens (though I'd say it was ~130). I widened the aperture of my original camera lens housing with an emery board and it fits nicely. Both depth of field and field of view are much improved. My first hardware hack :D ! Thanks

steveiswicked
Novice

Postby steveiswicked » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 am

Well, I think I might have been naive here. I've got face detection working in its own thread feeding coordinates to behaviors in an arbitrator object. It's nice seeing the robot turn and look back at me, but it's really not performant enough, I have to be close and well lit for it to work at all, and I have to turn off the webcam stream to the pc for it to be reasonably fast enough. I think I will modify my "person detection" to be based on movement and some basic assumptions about the environment.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Yep they all sound like typical robot vision problems! Robotics in the real world is not an easy problem to solve! This is especially true with low cost hardware. But the fun part is that with a "toy" you are recreating things that were cutting edge research only a few years ago (and which had the same problems you are running into!). Have fun!
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Return to “EV3 Projects”