Is this possible?

Post your EV3 projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

New User

Is this possible?

Postby RunnerAlwaysRun » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:47 am

Hi, i am a beginner want to host a php website in windows OS using XAMPP that is able to control the basic movements of ev3 (eg, user click forward button resulting ev3 moving forward). I have tried out one tutorial which is able to drive ev3 using the web server that is hosted on the ev3 brick (any device not connected in the same network as the ev3 will not able to drive the robot). My approach here is to have an online website that is always running and being hosted in windows os that is able to control ev3. Is this possible with leJOS ? Could i more information on how to make this done if it is possible? I am still deciding whether to dive into MonoBrick Firmware(they said possible), ev3dev firmware (not yet ask), or LeJOS firmware... :roll: :roll: :?: :?:

leJOS Team Member

Re: Is this possible?

Postby lawrie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Yes, of course it is possible. There are many ways you can do it. You can do it with either your own server running on the EV3, or with just the menu running on the EV3.

If you only have the menu running you need to use a form of remote execution that the menu supports. Java RMI is not much use to you as you are not running Java on the PC. You could use the object stream remote execution (RemoteRequestEV3) but this was added after the 0.8.1 release so you need to use the 0.8.2 tag or a recent snapshot to use this.

You are probably better running your own server on the EV3. One option is to run a web server on the EV3 and forward requests to it from the web server on the PC. But a simple socket server is probably a better option, and you can implement your own set of commands.

You need to decide what transport connection you are going to use from the PC to the EV3. You could use TCP over Wifi, Bluetooth or USB, or you could use a Bluetooth serial connection. If you use Bluetooth serial connection, you could use the NXT LCP protocol (LCPResponder) but it is not well supported.

You need to decode whether you are going to have a persistent connection from the web server to the EV3, or connect on each HTTP request. A persistent connection would be more efficient, but I don't know how you do that in XAMPP.

I think if I was doing it, I might use UDP. It avoids the persistent connection issue and is easy to implement in both Java and PHP.

New User

Postby jbenech » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 am

It seems to be something like what I am doing in Gnikrap (you can have a look to the code: Host a server on the EV3 brick and have a remote application in a browser in order to control EV3 brick.

I use websocket with json messages in order to have a persistent connection between the browser and the EV3 brick. It works actually quite well with 2 simultaneous browser (which are active).
The main limitation I found is the EV3 network bandwidth, I have something like 64kB/s with Bluetooth and 128KB/s with a wifi dongle.

New User

Postby doof324 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:15 am

Hey Guys!

I'm trying to execute a program on my EV3 but am running into a major roadblock, the same one it sounds like you had OP.

I want to use a remote (I don't have IR attachment) and run programs simultaneously! The Bluetooth Commander App does not allow me to do this, as I can only use one or the other at one time. Can leJOS help me fix this problem?

If so, it would be so nice if you told me how to do this! I am smart but don't have any real experience with this, so detailed instructions would be amazing. I'm doing this for a homework assignment due a week today, September 30, 2015.

Thanks for your help!

New User

Postby doof324 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 am

Nevermind! I downloaded a 3rd Party Android App called EV3 Simple Remote and it works magically!

Return to “EV3 Projects”