No connection via USB

This is where you talk about the EV3 hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

infatum9
New User

No connection via USB

Postby infatum9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Tried pinging and setting 10.0.1.1, watched a USB tutorial like this onehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SAaQq8omeQ&t=73s, read other forum threads. No avail. Windows 10 installed the RNDIS driver for me. Tried pointing the ip address in the Eclipse Neon as well.
It doesn't ping from CMD.

I remember it worked once after plugging to a different USB port on notebook. Now it doesn't. The only difference I relate as to why it doesn't work anymore, is Windows update.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: No connection via USB

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Make sure you are not using a USB 3 port if you can. Other than that if it used to work then something has changed, you need to work out what that is. Have you made any changes on the EV3? Is the PAN mode set to be access point. When you plug the EV3 in do you get an ethernet RNDIS device created? have you messed around with any of the settings? Have you installed any software (like a mobile phone driver for USB) that may have installed a different RNDIS driver? Try rolling back the RNDIS driver (make sure you understand what you are doing).

If all else fails use Bluetooth, or better still WiFi, at some point you will probably have a mobile robot and USB does not work well for that!
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

infatum9
New User

Postby infatum9 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 am

1. I do not see an RNDIS device in the device manager list, nor does it get installed. Yes, I have installed mobile phone software, but I doubt it has any driver conflict. Same happens on other PCs at school that do not have any mobile device drivers.

2. Tried setting PAN to USB.

3. Windows 10 Pro makes a peaking sound on device connection. At times it shows the message the device is unknown. Now even the robot froze and can't do a thing.

4. Tried pairing the devices via bluetooth. EV3 control panel does not recognize the sensors.

5. Have no Wi-fi USB adapter and not intending to buy one on school or own budget.

Conclusion. IMO, too much fooling around to get it going. You start with installing Java JDK, JRE, plugins, Eclipse and end up solving tech issues...Waiting till better stable times, when there is a nice end-user installation package, perhaps from Lego.
Thanks.

infatum9
New User

Postby infatum9 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 am

Follow up.
Bluetooth connection. In the bluetooth section on the PC, it shows a paired status with the ev3. The ev3 can discover the PC too, but after writing the passkey on the ev3 robot, it shows -> Unsuccessful. Strangely enough, it does not ask for a passkey on the PC. Tried the 0000 and the standard 1 2 3 4. Any ideas on this one?

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 am

Delete all of the devices from the EV3 and any EV3 Bluetooth devices on the EV3. Make sure that the Bluetooth PIN on the EV3 is set to the default 1234 (don't change it to 0000). Make sure the that EV3 PAN mode is access point. Use the PC to pair with the EV3 and enter 1234. I have never seen a PC pair with an EV3 without requesting a PIN. Once you have the devices paired you should be able to select the device on the PC and then use the menu to connect to the PAN. Once connected the EV3 will have IP address 10.0.1.1.

If it still doesn't work and you have been making changes to the settings on the EV3, then try reflashing the sd card and try again. Loads of people have got this working with various versions of Windows without issues, so if it does not work then there is something different about your setup.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Return to “EV3 Hardware”