EV3 + Android Bluetooth pairing issue

This is where you talk about the EV3 hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

smart_app123
New User

EV3 + Android Bluetooth pairing issue

Postby smart_app123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

I was able to find and pair an Android phone with Bluetooth search with Accept (10.0.0.1) as EV3.
However, if multiple Bluetooth devices are turned on or under certain conditions, the EV3 could not find any devices.

I could not find any number of times, and I failed to connect with the cell phone.

Please check if there is a way to connect the EV3 after searching the mobile phone, or if there is a way to search and connect the device more efficiently.

smart_app123
New User

Re: EV3 + Android Bluetooth pairing issue

Postby smart_app123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I tried different methods.

You have searched EV3 on your phone and entered your PIN number. However, EV3 did not ask if they would agree to pairing.

I still could not find any bluetooth devices when I was doing a Bluetooth search on the EV3. I have a classroom where I have more than 15 Bluetooth devices.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm

I think you need to take a big step back. Please explain what it is you are trying to do and why...
1. Why do you need to pair an Android device with an EV3 running leJOS?
2. What software are you running on the Android device?
3. What is it exactly that you are wish to do assuming you have the EV3 and phone talking.
4. Have you ever managed to pair the phone with the EV3 (this should work), once paired how are you then trying to connect them?
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

smart_app123
New User

Postby smart_app123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 am

1. To control the EV3 with the Android application, for example, when you click the button of the application, the motor rotates.

2. Samsung Galaxy S7

3. To send a message (signal) to the Android phone at ev3 so that it can perform a specific action, for example, if the up button is pressed at ev3, the mobile phone sends a number of 1

4. I have searched through the EV3 for Bluetooth and found the app. In a lot of Bluetooth environments, the EV3 did not find any devices even though it searched Bluetooth, so I want to find and pair the EV3 on my phone.
After pairing, ev3 wants to communicate with the mobile phone.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 pm

What Android App are you trying to use? Do you have leJOS installed on the EV3? I'm not aware of any Apps for Android that work with the EV3.

smart_app123
New User

Postby smart_app123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 am

I was able to implement socket communication with the EV3 via the Android studio. However, to implement it, the EV3 and the Android phone must pair with each other for Bluetooth connection. When I search on EV3, there is a problem that I can not find any Bluetooth device at all. So, I need a way to have a Bluetooth connection to each other in hardware.
How to connect the EV3 to the mobile phone with Bluetooth search or find the Bluetooth mobile phone on the EV3.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

I have no idea what your problem is, I have never had any issue with finding a Bluetooth device. You should only need to pair the devices once, so are you sure your phone is not already paired with the EV3 (and in the paired devices list)? Do you have your phone set to be visible for pairing? What happens if you search for the EV3 from the phone?

I'm not sure how you are configuring communications between the EV3 and phone, are you using a PAN? If so are you using the EV3 as the access point or are you using the phone as the access point? You will need different configurations on the EV3 for both of these. If you have had this working at some point what has changed?

If you require further help you really need to provide a lot more details of exactly what it is you are doing. You have not even said if you have leJOS installed on the EV3!

smart_app123
New User

Postby smart_app123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:36 pm

My EV3 is Accept mode of PAN mode and I can not find any device even if I search Bluetooth. When searching for Bluetooth in my cell, EV3 appears and I try to pair with EV3, but there is no response at EV3, I did not even try to connect.
And the lejos on the EV3 were of course installed.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm sorry but your answers make no sense to me at all.

There is no such PAN mode as as "Accept".

You said that you had this working at some point, but now you don't seem to be able to pair, what has changed? Did you ever have this working?

If you pair from your phone to the EV3 you will not see anything on the EV3 (what makes you think you will), did the pair succeed?

As I have already said are you sure that your devices are not already paired, if they are then an already paired device will not be shown after a search (instead it will be shown in the Bluetooth>Devices menu, you can if you wish delete items from this and then re-pair them.

Even if your devices are paired you may still need extra steps if you plan to use a PAN, as you have still not provided any details of how exactly you are communicating between the phone and the EV3 I can't really help you.

smart_app123
New User

Postby smart_app123 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:40 am

The mode of the current PAN is Access Pt.
EV3 is displayed on the phone, but there is no device found on the EV3 search.

Even if you select EV3 on Android phone, EV3 does not respond to pairing attempt.

That's the problem.

Is there a way to select EV3 in the Bluetooth list on Android?

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

You have still not answered my questions about what has changed! Did you ever have this working? Your earlier post said you did?

Have you checked to see if the EV3 is already paired with your phone as far as it is concerned (look in the Bluetooth>Devices menu option), if it is delete the phone and try pairing again.

What do you mean by "Even if you select EV3 on Android phone, EV3 does not respond to pairing attempt." You should be able to pair the EV3 from the phone, it may ask you for a pin (1234) on the phone it may not, you will not see anything happening on the EV3. If there is a problem you should get some sort of error from the phone, if it is paired OK then it should show as being paired on your phones Bluetooth devices.

Note that just because your phone is paired with the EV3 this does not mean that you can then communicate with it using Bluetooth. If you want to talk to the EV3 using TCP/IP then you will need to connect the phone to the EV3 PAN access point, this is a separate step from pairing. You have still not provided any details as to how you intend to communicate with the EV3. Very few phones provide a PAN client (they tend to only support the access point role).

smart_app123
New User

Postby smart_app123 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:28 pm

I checked the device menu option in Bluetooth to make sure the device was not registered, and I can do a bluetooth search on the EV3 to pair it when the phone is found,
I just want to search for Bluetooth through my phone and connect it to the EV3.
I searched on three different Android phones, but the results were all the same.

After pairing, I communicated with ev3 by connecting the phone to the socket.

I do not know what it means to be an access point, can I tell you about it?

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm sorry but that is not possible, you can't simply open a socket to the EV3 after pairing, it doesn't work that way. You must have taken extra steps (like using the android Bluetooth control panel to say that the EV4 should be used to access the internet). Please provide more details of exactly how you got things to work.

Why is it so important to search and pair from the Android phone? If you can make it work using the EV3 to do the pairing why not simply do it that way? You only need to pair the devices once, so why is it such a big deal?

You still have not explained what happens when your search for the EV3 from your phone. I have never had any issue with the EV3 being visible. Are you saying it does not show up in a Bluetooth search? If it does show up what happens if you try and pair with it. If you want more help you need to provide as much detail as you can. At the moment you are simply wasting both my and your time.

smart_app123
New User

Postby smart_app123 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 am

I finally decided not to use Bluetooth search in places where there are a lot of Bluetooth searches.

Return to “EV3 Hardware”