How can I import NetBeans Project into Eclipse

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

xwang78
New User

How can I import NetBeans Project into Eclipse

Postby xwang78 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi, we have an old project for LeJOS NXT developed by NetBeans, and we wanna update the project in Eclipse, which supports the LeJOS EV3 plugin.
But I don't know how to import the previous project into Eclipse, with minor modification. Could someone give me some info about this?

Additional info: We wanna set up the Wi-Fi connection between the PC and EV3, but it seems the NetBeans is not a good platform to do this task since I didn't find the EV3 plugin for NetBeans. And the recommended IDE is Eclipse. In addition, we have a GUI project in NetBeans, and we also wanna transfer it to Eclipse, with minor modification. I am not sure if there is a solution for this transfer with little modification.

Thanks
X.W

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: How can I import NetBeans Project into Eclipse

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:03 pm

You may get more help if you ask these questions on and eclipse forum, basically what you want to do is not really leJOS specific (especially the problems of moving a GUI project).

I wouldn't even try to move the project config over. Just create a new project (or projects if you have both PC and brick projects) and copy the source files over. Then sort out the build issues. As to the GUI good luck with that. I doubt if you will be able to make use of any of the eclipse design tools with a netbeans based project. Again I would just start again. Unless your project is very big it will be quicker in the long run and you will learn more useful things about using eclipse rather then battling with trying to migrate things.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

xwang78
New User

Postby xwang78 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply!

The reason why I wanna import the project into Eclipse directly is that the old project is really huge. So, I want to find a simple way to finish the transfer and updating things. From the info you provided, it seems impossible to transfer the project directly.

Yeah, it's really annoying to move the project to another platform, especially it contains the GUI project. Just like you said, the best way is actually creating a new project, moving the source files to the new project. However, the annoying part of this method is that I need to sort out all the libraries (self-created and original NXT libraries). In addition, I need to update all the functions and libraries from NXT to EV3, which is also not a simple task. But I will try this way to see what happens.

Actually, my goal is to establish the Wi-Fi connection between the PC side and EV3 brick side. I was trying to find out the plugin for EV3 in NeatBeans, but I couldn't find any info about the EV3 plugin for NetBeans - all for Eclipse, which is the reason why I wanna change the IDE from NetBeans to Eclipse. I am not sure if we can add the EV3 libraries to NetBeans so that I can still use NetBeans to establish Wi-Fi connection.

Thanks!
X.W

Aswin
leJOS Team Member

Postby Aswin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Is it an option to keep the GUI in Netbeans and only migrate the code that runs on the NXT?
My NXT blog: http://nxttime.wordpress.com/

xwang78
New User

Postby xwang78 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:00 am

Hi Aswin,

Thanks for your reply! Actually, I finished the programming work for EV3 in Eclipse, which is the brick side. And the PC could connect to the EV3 brick using Bluetooth connection. But I wanna set up the Wi-Fi connection, which is not supported in NetBeans because I can't find the EV3 plugin for NetBeans.

So, there are two parts for this work, one is transfer the project to Eclipse, and the other one is updating the NXT to EV3 in the PC side. I already finished the updating things for EV3 in Brick side. I don't know what is the best way to establish the Wi-Fi connection between PC and EV3 Brick, with huge and old NXT project (especially GUI project) on PC side.

Thanks!
X.W

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:32 am

You don't need a plugin in NetBeans to allow a PC project to talk to an EV3 program over WiFi. You just use standard Java networking code to do this, no reason why you can't do that in NetBeans.

What sort of communications are you using between you PC and brick program? What sort of packets are you sending, what sort of data? You may need to rework that part of your code. But it is just standard Java, nothing lejOS specific. You could use some of the leJOS classes to connect to the EV3 by name, but there is no need to do that. To find out how to use a WiFi connection, you need to understand how to use TCP from Java, do you know how to do this? You can see many examples of doing this sort of thing on our leJOS news pages...
https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Return to “EV3 Software”