Menu Improvement

A place to discus the development of leJOS for the EV3. Please do not use this section to post questions about how to use leJOS or to report problems etc.
Enginecrafter
Novice

Menu Improvement

Postby Enginecrafter » Mon May 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Good afternoon!

I don't know that if I can post this here, if I am wrong, move my post.
But let's go on.
I have decompiled your original menu and ported it to eclipse, so I got access to menu source code.
I fixed some errors done by decompilation and now everything works just fine. I changed a bit your file system inside /home/root/lejos/bin
(added some debug scripts and renamed some files as in system as in menu source)
I also impleented new functionality to menu for example wifi memory(rembers entered passwords), wifi utitlies, and simple terminal emulator(buggy yet). I also changed battery display to percentage of full charge. I don't directly ask you to enter your team. It's on you to decide (since I did not improved your API, only menu and lejos itself) but I would like it :).

Goodbye from Slovakia :)

Enginecrafter
Novice

Re: Menu Improvement

Postby Enginecrafter » Mon May 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Sorry, I forgot about changed data displaying from bytes to common ones as kilobyte(if larger than 1000), megabyte(if larger than 1 000 000) and so on

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon May 09, 2016 5:04 pm

Why did you decompile the menu? the source code for all of leJOS is available to anyone:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/ev3/cod ... ster/tree/

If you want to make contributions to leJOS then the best way to do so is to post (in this forum) your ideas and why you think they will be generally useful. It is best to do this before you make changes as often things are the way they are for a good reason and the changes you propose may be better made in a different way to how you may originally plan to do them. By posting here you will get comments from the current developers and any changes you make are much more likely to be incorporated into leJOS.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Enginecrafter
Novice

Postby Enginecrafter » Tue May 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Oh, ok. Sorry. I thought it will be good to improve it. Originally I made it only for myself to improve wifi connection method. And then I decided to post it here to make it available for others but when I read your post... Sorry if I don't understand it right, but your post seems to be negative (it will be incorporated...). If I don't understand it right, correct me please. I only wanted to improve your menu. So forgive me If I did something wrong...

On the other side:
I found bug with playing sounds. It starts to play that sound, but starts to make strange noises and eventually completely making system not to work.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Tue May 10, 2016 4:02 pm

If you think you have found a bug please post a (short) example program (plus any data files that may be needed to reproduce the problem) over in the "EV3 Software" section. Please make sure you include details of the version of leJOS you are using, what you expect the program to do and what actually happens. Please also provide details of how you build and run the program. Basically we need enough so that it is easy for a developer can reproduce the problem.

I wasn't trying to be negative just trying to point out the best way to go about things if you want to make a contribution to leJOS. So for instance if you had posted here first we would have provided a link to the menu source code which would have saved you from having to decompile the menu. It would probably have also been mentioned that another developer is currently in the process of creating a new version of the menu:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/ev3/cod ... V3NewMenu/
and it would probably have been suggested that you might want to take a look at that project and perhaps contribute either ideas or code to it.

So if you want to go forward I think you should post the details of the changes you would like to see, why you think the new way is better, and a proposal for how these changes could be made. In the case of the menu it would probably make sense for you to spend a little time looking at how the new menu works and what functionality it has and basing any changes you would like to see on that rather then on the current menu system.

I'm sure many of the changes you have made would be good to have in the new menu (some of them may already have been included), but without seeing the specifics it is hard to be sure.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Enginecrafter
Novice

Postby Enginecrafter » Tue May 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Ok. Thanks for better explantion. Now I understand it well :).
I will have a look at the new menu.

And if you want you can look at my customized version. It's s eclipse project stored in a zip file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/03fwyieiqh21u ... u.zip?dl=1

EDIT: And I decompiled the menu because I didn't know there was source.

Aswin
leJOS Team Member

Postby Aswin » Wed May 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi ?,

I am working on the new menu system for leJOS EV3. This is quite a task and I have very limited time at the moment. So I could use some help. Andy pointed out the location of the new menu. It is also good to know we have a wiki that explains how to access the repo from eclipse. Study the code, feel free to ask questions or make suggestions. We'll see what is the best way for you to contribute.

Aswin
My NXT blog: http://nxttime.wordpress.com/

Return to “leJOS EV3 Development”