NXT Brick clicking after running code.

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: imaqine, 99jonathan, roger

leeham38
New User

NXT Brick clicking after running code.

Postby leeham38 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Hello guys.

I was experimenting with bluetooth earlier today using 0.9.1 on my NXT Brick. After running I got a USB unrecognised error and decided to restart the mindstorms brick. The brick, however now is making a clicking noise and nothing is being displayed on the screen. I have tried pressing the reset button to no avail.
I'd like to be able to reflash it, but when I plug the brick in to the PC, nothing happens.
I'm not really sure what I can do.

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Re: NXT Brick clicking after running code.

Postby skoehler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:35 pm

It sound, like the NXT has gone back into firmware update mode. Simply run nxjflash again.
If that fails, use push the reset button in the hole near the USB port and try running nxjflash again.

leeham38
New User

Postby leeham38 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Hello, thanks for your reply.
I have tried to run the nxj flash utility, however it seems the brick isn't being recognised by the pc itself.
There is not even a USB connection noise when it's plugged In.
I'm starting to think it might be a hardware issue with the port itself. Using the reset button halts the clicking temporarily, however it resumes about 5 seconds later.

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes, the clicking resumes 5 seconds later because that's what the NXT does if it is in Firmware Update mode: it clicks.
The only way to get of that mode is to flash a firmware. I assume, you have the latest Lego Fantom Driver (1.1.3). Does the NXT show up in the Windows Device Manager?

leeham38
New User

Postby leeham38 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello again

Yes I have the latest driver installed, however nothing shows up in the device manager.

Cheers

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:03 pm

leeham38 wrote:Yes I have the latest driver installed, however nothing shows up in the device manager.

OK, that's pretty bad. Have you tried another USB cable? Have you tried another USB port on your PC or maybe another PC?

leeham38
New User

Postby leeham38 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Bit of an update. Tried another brick which works fine in the same USB port. My brick is not recognized on my girlfriends or my Universities computer, which seems like it might be something more than simply being stuck in firmware update mode.
Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it! :)

s.frings
Active User

Postby s.frings » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Just to be sure: You tried already to remove the batteries for a while?

Sorry for that question, but sometimes the solution is so easy that we oversee it.

Return to “NXJ Hardware”