Compatible Bluetooth Adapters

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: imaqine, 99jonathan, roger

Ralf
New User

Compatible Bluetooth Adapters

Postby Ralf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am

Hey,

I'm sure there have been topics like this before, but the term "Bluetooth" being ignored by the search functions makes things a bit difficult, so I was hoping to get a quick answer.

I saw in the tutorial that it mentioned working well with Bluetooth stacks from Widcomm and Microsoft. Does that mean that any Bluetooth Adapter using this protocol works?
E.g. this one http://www.inateck.com/inateck-bta-csr4b6-usb-bluetooth-4-0-adapter/ ?

And another, not fully related, question... Did I gather correctly, that there is no USB Wifi Dongle that works like for the EV3? I've found things like NXTBee and NXT2Wifi, but those require a sensor port and I cannot spare one of those. This is why I was looking into Bluetooth.
And lastly. Should I have any worries about communication speed? Sorry if it's getting a bit too off topic.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: Compatible Bluetooth Adapters

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 pm

The device you have linked to is a class 2 device (range about 10m), for use with a mobile robot I would suggest that a class 1 device is a better choice. I've had a lot of success using a Belkin device (F8T012 http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage. ... _Id=425774), but this device is now rather old and probably not available anymore. I would strongly urge you to get a device that is supported by the Microsoft stack if you can. This thread may be of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7391&start=15
Note however that I think that all of these devices are class 2 not class 1. I would get class 1 if you possibly can.

Good luck!

Ralf
New User

Postby Ralf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks! That one does indeed seem hard to get here. I see some listed in that thread that seem to work. Is it safe to say, that every device that is supported by the Microsoft stack works? Or that every Bluetooth adapter that works on the EV3 also work on the NXT and vice versa? Or that adapters that work with Lego Mindstorm also work with leJOS? I sadly can only acquire them if I know for sure they will work, so I might risk only using a class 2 one, if I at least know it works.

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Sorry I don't think you can say for certain any of those things. There is a very good chance that if a dongle works with the LEGO software then it will also work with leJOS (for the NXT anyway).

Ralf
New User

Postby Ralf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:54 pm

I see. That makes things a bit tricky.

Thanks for the help.

Ralf
New User

Postby Ralf » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 am

So, after testing for a bit I come back with good and lucky news. After scouring the internet and vainly communicating with the Belkin support, I simply picked a random Belkin Bluetooth adapter, in hope of it working like previous, now mostly unavailable, adapters from Belkin. Turns out it works. Sadly just Class II, but sufficient for me.

I acquired the Belkin F8T065bf Bluetooth adapter (and am on Windows 7 x64). I plugged it in without installing the Drivers from the CD. Instead I chose to choose the drivers myself (in the setup menu) and chose the Microsoft Drivers. I also added the device to the bth.inf, but I don't know if this was necessary. A lot of trying things was involved, so I don't know for sure what did the trick.
I was able to pair it with the NXT. I've been using it for some time now and it works without any problems.

Return to “NXJ Hardware”