Programming nxt in c?

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: imaqine, 99jonathan, roger

Al3$$10
New User

Programming nxt in c?

Postby Al3$$10 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:48 pm

hi guys, i'm new on this forum, and sorry, but i don't speak english very well :oops:
I started programming nxt in java, but I was told that doing it in c is better (seriously)
how can I do? reading around I see that the ide is BrixCC, but which firmware must be installed on the nxt? I can't find anything about it ... it's okay what I use to program it in java?
I would prefer to program it in c because it is programmed in my school
thank you all!

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Re: Programming nxt in c?

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:18 pm

You do realise that this is a forum for users of Java on the NXT? As a result the answer you get is likely to be a little biased.

Did you ask whoever it was that told you that using C was better, why it was better? Did they have a good reason for using a very old, very low level programming language?

Anyway your choices are NXC which is supported by BrixCC and Robot C. Both of these only provide a subset of C and neither provide access to things like pointers or any of the more advanced C features. They both make use of the standard LEGO firmware (or a slightly modified version of it) which means that they use the same motor control and sensor interfaces as used by the standard LEGO software. In many peoples opinion this means that neither offers as good a level of control as provided by Java using leJOS. Both systems have their own relatively simple IDE aimed at the beginner rather than making use of an industry standard IDE like Eclipse (as used by leJOS).

If you are a beginner with no experience of either C or Java then perhaps you will be better trying to use NXC/BrixCC, but please be aware this language is really nothing like using full blown C and has many limitations. If others in your school use either NXC or Robot C then you will probably get more help if you use the same, but if they are using standard C on say a PC or something then they may not be able to help that much.

Finally the NXT is now rather old as a result getting any sort of support may not be very easy. I think that Robot C still has an active NXT forum, but I'm not aware of any forum that is active that covers using NXC. This forum still exists for the NXT, but there are very few posts these days and so you will probably not get a lot of help here.

Good luck with whatever it is you use.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Al3$$10
New User

Postby Al3$$10 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:02 pm

thanks for your answer, from what I understand you think it's better to program in java.
anyway I think I have not explained well: in my school we have many nxt kits (I know they are old), and are programmed in c, or better nxc. they say it's faster, and this, along with the fact that I will could get more help, made me think it was better to use the nxc rather than the java.
but thank you for your answer, I will evaluate the two choices better and I will behave accordingly

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm

If your School uses NXC then you should almost certainly start with that as you will be able to get help from your teachers and other students.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

Return to “NXJ Software”