EDIT: Before trying these instructions, make sure the LEGO NXT drivers are installed and the brick is recognizable before installing libusb WIN32 filter. With NXT only on usb (should be under Device Manager/LEGO Devices), run TestLibUsb. If 03EB/6124 shows-up you are good to go.
EDIT: You only need to do steps 1-3 and it should work.
Installing LibUsb-Win32 on Vista
1.Download libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.1.exe (the version current @ 27/09/07)
2.Right click on this file. Select Properties | Compatibility Click the “Run this program in compatibility mode” box and select “Windows XP (Service Pack2)” from the drop down list.
3.Right click again and select “Run as “Administrator”. Follow the installation instructions. Run the test program will list the usb devices plugged into your computer – but not new devices.
4. Go to a downloaded and expanded folder
Plug in new usb device and create a .inf file by going to the /bin
folder and double-clicking inf-wizard.exe
5. Follow the instructions. The program suggested I save the files in
Alex/Documents so I left them there. It saved a .inf file and 2
6. From the Vista start button, go to Control Panel | Device
Manager. This shows my device under “Other devices”. Clicking on
the device gives me the properties and tells me that there is no
driver installed. Click Reinstall Driver. Browse my computer for
driver software. Browse to Alex/Documents then click Next. I then
get the messages:-
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an
error while attempting to install it.
The system cannot find the file specified.
7. On inspecting the directories, I have Windows/System32/libusb0.dll
and Windows/System32/Drivers/libusb0.sys. I have noticed that on
my Win98 m/c I also have a file LibUsbWin.dll but this might be
part of the Java driver software
8. By installing my system on a XP machine, I have worked out the answer to my problem. XP tells what files it cannot find and allows you to locate them. The files that cannot be found are libusb0.sys and libusb0.dll even though they are in the system32/driver and system32 folders as required. Pointing the installation routine to these files on another disk allowed the installation to proceed correctly.
So, to Vista. I put the device .inf and .cat files into the system32/inf/other folder. I also copied the 2 libusb0 files into this folder. The Device Driver installation then worked.
EDIT: You may have to optionally edit or run wizard to create an nxt.inf file [see libusb instructions and groups] to point the Device Manager/LEGO''NXT Firmware Update Mode/ properties/driver details to include:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\fantom.sys and c:\windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys in the driver file(s) path.
Output of TestLibUsb should look like this for nxt:
DLL version: 0.1.12.1
Driver version: 0.1.12.1
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... _id=266688
Please let us know if anyone has any luck with these instructions, and also if they can be simplified.