Problems in getting started on a Ubuntu 16.04 system

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: imaqine, 99jonathan, roger

New User

Problems in getting started on a Ubuntu 16.04 system

Postby c_h_r » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:37 pm

After spending all the day in trying to get started, I hope someone can give me some help.

• On a Ubuntu 16.04 system first I installed eclipse via the "Ubuntu Software" - it is version 3.8.1-8
  • I added this plugin:
  • I created and joined into a user-group, giving me the right for writing to usb:

Code: Select all

sudo addgroup legonxt
    sudo adduser <Username> legonxt
    sudo adduser root legonxt
  • I created a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/45-legonxt.rules

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="0694", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", SYMLINK+="legonxt-%k", GROUP="legonxt", MODE="0660"
  • downloaded the leJOS_NXJ_0.9.1beta-3.tar.gz and unpacked this archive into a folder in workspace

Every attempt of flashing the nxj software to the connected nxt fails with error: "Cannot load NXTComm driver"

Does anyone has an idea? It is a pitty, that the "help" of eclipse leads to an "HTTP ERROR: 500"(server error)

Thank you

leJOS Team Member

Re: Problems in getting started on a Ubuntu 16.04 system

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 am

it is a long time since I or anyone else has done any work on leJOS for the NXT so there is a very good chance that many things will have changed with recent versions of Linux that mean leJOS will not run, sorry but that is how it is with open source projects.

Have you tried following the instructions given in the following page... ... dLinux.htm

In particular you will need to make sure you have the various parts of libusb installed on your system and that you have compiled the leJOS USB interface. To be honest I suspect that this will no longer work on recent Linux versions but you never know.

You will probably have more luck getting leJOS for the NXT working with Windows as despite the many criticisms of them Microsoft is very good at maintaining backwards compatibility for applications and things like USB device drivers.

Sorry that is about all the help I can offer. Good Luck!
leJOS news

Return to “NXJ Software”